If you are in the process of choosing window coverings for your home, you may be feeling a little overwhelmed. You don’t want to use the same window treatment in every room of the house. That would be aesthetically boring. However, every room doesn’t need completely different window coverings. You want the perfect balance between consistency and variety. Here are some tips to help you choose the right window coverings for each room of your house.
Purpose and Functionality of Window Coverings in the Home
When choosing window treatments throughout your home, think about their function in each room. This may vary from room to room. In bathrooms and bedrooms, privacy may be the primary concern. Choosing window coverings for living areas may require both function and aesthetics. The three basic functions include:
- Privacy is a concern in bathrooms and bedrooms in particular. Cellular honeycomb shades are ideal for providing the privacy you need in more personal rooms of your house. Additionally, they help regulate how much light comes into the room from outside.
- Aesthetics are important when selecting window coverings. It’s an important feature for every room. With the various styles, colors, and types of window treatments, there are plenty of choices that add an aesthetic touch to complement the décor.
- UV blocking is a quality to consider, particularly for windows facing the south. This side of the house usually experiences the most sunlight. UV rays can damage or fade flooring, artwork, and furniture. Sunlight filtering in can also make it difficult to watch TV. Vertical blinds work well for larger windows to help manage sunlight. Consider roller shades for rooms with smaller or multiple windows.
Types and Styles of Window Treatments
A room’s décor and purpose can help you choose window treatment styles most appropriate for each room. It helps to know the aesthetic qualities and functionality of the various types of window coverings.
Add richness and warmth to any room with horizontal wood blinds. Blinds allow you to control the amount of light in a room. They are available in a variety of styles, colors, and finishes adding a decorative element to the room.
Shades are available in different opacities, provide privacy, and prevent UV damage. When considering the convenience of shades, there are a number of styles and types available, including:
- Cellular Honeycomb Shades: Add insulation and save on energy bills with these pleated shades especially designed to trap air.
- Roller Shades: These solar shades are pulled down from a valance tube at the top of the window. They provide privacy, reduce glare, and protect from UV rays.
- Sheer Shades: Want to add a touch of sophistication? Sheer shades provide the functionality of horizontal blinds but are made from sheer fabric that blocks UV rays.
- Roman Shades: Add a touch of elegance with the folds and gathers of Roman shades.
If you want window coverings with a unique but classic look, consider shutters. They provide an instant curb appeal because they look good from the outside as well as on the inside. Shutters are durable and versatile. They are available in any shape and can be custom-made to fit any opening.
Whether you are remodeling or just moved into a new home, window coverings can give your house a makeover and add a personal touch. Are you ready to get started choosing window coverings for your home? Put our experience and expertise to work for you. Contact us today to schedule a virtual consultation and free estimate.